Welcome to the Pals Feburary 2018 Blog Hop! Our theme this month is “Case the Catty”. The Stampin’ Pretty Pals will copy or remake projects from any of the current Stampin’ Up! catalogs and brochures. After all, who doesn’t CASE (Copy and Share Everything) once in a while. You may be just starting or hopped over from another Pal. In either case you’ll find the line-up toward the end of my post to help you move along.
There are so many pretty projects in the Stampin’ Up! Catalogs that the hardest part of this challenge was trying to narrow it down to just one! I finally decided on this project because a. it’s gorgeous and b. the colors are ones I would never think to pair up!
- Card Base 5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″, scored at 4 1/4″
- 1st Layer 4 1/2″ x 3 1/2″
- 2nd Layer 4″ x 3″
- The first step for me was to figure out the measurements of the layers, which I’ve included so you don’t have to!
- Then I jumped right in and stamped the butterfly image from Stampin’ Up!’s Beautiful Day stamp set in Pool Party. The coloring with the Stampin’ Blends took a few tries (okay, more than a few) to work out. There are four colors of blue used, Light and Dark Pool Party and Light and Dark Coastal Cabana. I followed the example one the cover of the Occasions Catalog closely and discovered a few tips:
- They didn’t really blend the layers, they just laid them down one on top of the other, lightest to darkest.
- Let each layer of color dry before applying the next layer to keep that definition between the shades.
- I was hesitant to really put the ink down at first as it seemed so dark and contrasted so much…it doesn’t look that way when the ink dries and it looks much better if you are liberal with the ink. So really lay those colors down!
- Once the butterfly was colored, I moved on to stamp all the little flowers in Berry Burst. I’ve never thought to stamp around the edges of my card base before but WOW! I love the effect! One teeny tiny stamp sure can pack a punch!
- I had a discussion recently with a stamping friend who didn’t own either a Stamparatus or any other type of stamp positioning tool and the merits of both the Stamparatus and the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig. I believe that both tools are valuable to have. The Stamparatus is perfect for making sure you get a great stamped image and perfect placement but it doesn’t work well in applications like stamping this border of flowers around the edges of the card stock. The reason? You can’t turn the stamp to mix up the placement. With the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, you can. You can turn the plastic sheet that the image is stamped on all different ways to come up with a fun pattern and still get perfect placement.
- A tiny hand cut banner topped off with a Whisper White Baker’s Twine bow and a stamped and snipped sentiment banner layered with a pretty piece of Lemon Lime Twist 3/8″ Mini Striped Ribbon finish off this project beautifully.
- Today I left the inside blank for a personalized message, just added some color and a few flowers.
Thank you so much for hopping with the Stampin’ Pretty Pals today. Please take a minute to mark your calendar for our next hop on March 14, 2018. Now hop along using the Blog Hop Line-up below. Don’t forget to leave us a comment. We really like that.
Blog Hop Line-up:
- Mary Fish at Stampin’ Pretty
- Debbie Mageed at Secret Stamper
- Su Mohr at Aromas and Art
- Jennifer Michalski at Stamping Serenity
- Beth McCullough at Stamping Mom
- Rachael at Bluebonnet Stampin
- Lisa Ann Bernard at Queen B Creations
- Peggy Noe at Pretty Paper Cards
- Stesha Bloodhart at Stampin’ Hoot!
- Jackie Beers at BlueLineStamping
- Shannon Jaramillo at Shannon Kay Paperie
- Rosanne Mulhern at Heartfelt Stamping
- Jennifer Spiller at Westside Paper Creations
- Linda Suarez at All Night Stamping
- Pamela Sadler at Apron of Love
- Corinne Blake at The Creative Compendium
- Wendy Klein at DogGone Delightful Stampin’
- Julie DiMatteo at The Paper Pixie
- Tricia Chuba at ButterDish Designs
- Sara Hicks Stuart at Sentiments by Sara
Card Stock: Berry Burst, Night of Navy and Whisper White by Stampin’ Up!
Pattern Paper: Tutti Fruitti 6 x 6 Designer Series Paper by Stampin’ Up!
Ink: Pool Party and Berry Burst by Stampin’ Up!
Stamps: Beautiful Day by Stampin’ Up!
Tools: Stamp-A-Ma-Jig and Stampin’ Trimmer by Stampin’ Up!
Embellishments: Lemon Lime Twist 3/8″ Mini Striped Ribbon and Whisper White Baker’s Twine by Stampin’ Up!
Other: Medium Whisper White Envelope by Stampin’ Up!